Have you ever experienced sharp, burning, shooting pain down the back of your leg? If so, then you probably experienced sciatica pain.
This type of pain can be excruciating and debilitating enough to affect your daily life. Fortunately, you don’t have to keep suffering – your chiropractor can help.
What Is Sciatica and What Causes the Intense Pain?
In order to understand how chiropractic treatments can help with this type of back pain, it’s important to first look at what sciatica is and what causes it.
The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body. It starts at the base of the spine and runs down the back of the leg all the way to the foot. Each leg has a sciatic nerve.
When this nerve is pinched or inflamed the result is incredible pain. The pain typically affects the lower back, buttock, or hamstring area of the leg. However, some people experience pain from the top of the nerve to the bottom.
What causes the nerve to be pinched or inflamed? Sciatic nerve compression can be caused by a number of different back problems. A herniated disc or an accident (car accident, falling on your back) can definitely contribute to this type of discomfort. Other causes include pregnancy, childbirth, tumors, and diabetes.
The keys to avoiding this type of pain is prevention (if at all possible) and treatment from your chiropractor.
Sciatica can be prevented with the right treatments. You can see a chiropractor for all of your back problems – including those revolving around the largest nerve in your body. When you see them, they will address the issue in two ways. They will try to help you prevent discomfort, and they will treat the pain you’re already experiencing.
How to Prevent Sciatic Nerve Problems
Here are just a few ways that sciatic nerve problems can be avoided.
- Avoid sitting on your wallet. This puts the body off balance and strains the nerve.
- Exercise regularly. Excess weight can put pressure on the nerves of your back. Sticking to a healthy weight will also prevent conditions – like diabetes – that can contribute to back, leg, and feet problems. In addition to keeping your weight in check, make sure to do some regular stretching exercises. Keeping the muscles limber will keep them healthier. It would also help to work your core. Strong stomach muscles help protect the back.
- Manage daily strains. Avoid prolonged postures by taking micro breaks. Stretching and moving throughout the day. This reduces the risk you have of sciatic nerve compression.
Chiropractic Treatments for this Type of Nerve Issue
The first step in properly treating a sciatic nerve issue is to get the right diagnosis. Just because you’re having back, leg, or foot pain doesn’t necessarily mean you’re experiencing sciatic pain.
After a diagnosis, your chiropractor will set up a treatment plan, that will help your irritated nerve to recover.
Treatment plan can include:
- Treatment to muscles such as Active Release and/or Garston techniques
- Laser therapy
- Therapeutic exercise
- Ergonomic modifications
- Cold therapy via ice packs to reduce inflammation.
- Ultrasound massage uses heat and gentle pressure to relax the muscles and reduce discomfort.
Contact Us for Relief from Sciatica Pain
If you’ve been experiencing sciatic nerve discomfort, please know you don’t have to keep suffering. Treatments are available that can get you out of pain and feeling back to normal. Don’t wait a second longer.
If you have any sort of tension or discomfort in your head, jaw, neck, shoulders, back, or legs – get chiropractic treatment. With regular treatments and preventative care, you can be on the road to recovery soon!
Have you been experiencing back or neck pain lately? If so, please contact us to book an appointment.